Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween!

Yesterday, I spent the afternoon carving pumpkins with Sophie. Lucky for me, she had already done all the hard work: picked up the pumpkins at the pumpkin patch, bought the carving tools and Halloween candy, and even set up shop in the kitchen (thanks Sophie!) All I had to do was show up for the fun.

I can't even remember the last time I actually sat down and carved a pumpkin, let alone dedicated a couple of hours to arts and crafts, so it was nice to just sit down and revisit an old childhood tradition. I had almost forgotten how incredible pumpkins smell when you first cut into them and how satisfying it can be to scoop out handfuls of their slimy flesh.

Anyway, here's what I came up with. Aside from the interesting situation that is the witch's feet, I would say that my pumpkin turned out pretty good!

IMG_2315
The great pumpkin!
halloween-candy-by-phanton-kitty
Trick or treat!

After dinner, the Halloween festivities continued when Lily and I met up to go to the Corn Maize on Sauvie's Island. Every time I've gone in the past, the place has been packed with large groups all anxiously awaiting entry into the maze in a line that stretches out into the parking lot. But this time, being a Sunday night and all, the place was pretty empty. I half expected the lack of a crowd to bum me out, but it actually made the whole experience all the more eerie. Lily and I spent a good forty-five minutes trudging through the dark, muddy maze alone, looking up at the charcoal-mauve sky with its translucent floating clouds, and breathing in the cold, farm air smelling of rain and muck. Ahhh, pure bliss.

Picture 1
The only two, blurry pictures that exist from the night

I hope you're all enjoying these last few hours of Halloween (and of October too!) The countdown to Paris continues... Only 16 more days!!!

Happy Halloween and à bientôt!

No comments:

Post a Comment