Wednesday, October 26, 2011

OooOOoOoO it's Halloween Weekend!

Hey! It's almost Halloween! How on earth did that happen? Does anyone else feel like October just flew by? Well, I'm not complaining... the end of October truly marks the beginning of my absolute favorite time of year. The leaves are blanketing the streets in magnificent colors of burnt orange and deep yellow, the air feels a little more crisp with every passing day, and there seems to be an ever-present scent of evergreen in the air... that is, if you're in Portland of course.

Luckily, I'm headed back home this weekend to partake in some serious Halloween festivities: sip on some warm apple cider, visit the Sauvie's Island pumpkin patch, brave the haunted corn maze at night, and host a scary movie marathon for some close friends. Ever since I became "too old to dress up and trick or treat," (?!?) this has been my favorite way to spend Halloween. There's just nothing better than the feeling of the holidays, and Halloween is no different. I love seeing how creative neighbors get in decorating their houses, hearing all my friends brainstorm their costume ideas, and feeling that giddy childhood sensation of excitement in the air. If you're still not convinced, well then, you can't beat a day that's devoted entirely to free candy: just try and say no to that argument, my friend.

Needless to say, I'm quite the Halloween person. So, you can imagine my disappointment when I spent the holiday in Paris last year. No one tells you on the study abroad brochure that Parisians don't celebrate Halloween! There are no "13 days of Halloween" on the television, no abundance of candy in the markets, and definitely no Parisians sporting costumes in and out of the métro. The horror!

Okay, so I'm being a little dramatic. Paris is awesome, there is really no need to complain. But I was feeling a little homesick for my favorite holiday, so ma copine Lily and I decided to get creative. And creative we were! After a little research and planning, we came up with an entire 'Halloween in Paris' agenda: a spooky visit to the famous Catacombs, an eerie, albeit beautiful, stroll through the Père Lachaise cemetery at sunset, a scary movie marathon (think Casper, Sleepy Hollow, and Dracula), finished off with a scrumptious Sunday brunch at home.

IMG_0320
Adorable Lily on the métro. See, no costumes!
L1010753
Claustrophobic walkways at the Catacombs
L1010772
Real human skulls and bones creatively stacked (seriously, who's job was that??) along the walkways at the Catacombs
L1010785
Mysterious and consistent drops of water falling from the short ceilings of the Catacombs... hmmm
L1010779
"Where is she, the dead? Always future or past. She is hardly present and then she is already no more."
IMG_0328
Graves at the Père Lachaise Cemetery
IMG_0336
Lily laughing in the face of fear at the Père Lachaise Cemetery
IMG_0374
Beautiful sunset over the Père Lachaise Cemetery
IMG_0318

Sunday Brunch: jus d'orange, bananes, fraises, oeufs brouillés, pain aux raisins, et pain au chocolat!

While it may not have been as "festive" as Halloween at home, Lily and I sure had a great weekend in Paris last year. It just goes to show that when you are willing to get a little creative, you can make new traditions in new places with new friends. Now, exactly one year later, Lily and I will be meeting in Portland to indulge in all of the traditions we so fondly reminisced over while we were abroad :)

So, how will you be spending Halloween this year? What are some of your favorite traditions? Whatever you may have planned, I hope you are all looking forward to a fun weekend (wherever you may be)!

Joyeux Halloween and à bientôt!

1 comment:

  1. I'll be there this weekend too ya know.. I'm beginning to think you don't want me there haha

    ReplyDelete