Saturday, October 1, 2011

Autumn in the Air: Boots!

Although Fall officially begins at the end of September, I never really get the feeling that the season has started until October hits. Maybe it's because there are so many things going on in September, what with back to school and the end of Summer, or maybe it's the fact that every September for the past three years, I've been leaving beautiful, chilly Oregon for California where the hot weather lingers through the seasons. All the signs of Autumn are here: the pumpkin spice latte has returned to Starbucks, the mornings are a little bit chillier, Halloween superstores are popping up all over the city, and scary movies are starting to come out in the theaters... but regardless, California weather has refused to succumb to the holiday season and the past few weeks have been filled with 85-degree days. However, today is the 1st of October, and it might just be that Portland clock in me, but it's finally starting to feel like Fall. And I couldn't be more pleased.

Fall has always been my favorite time of the year. I love the holidays, the decorations, the smells, the excitement that fills the air, and of course the clothes. Finally, I can put my exhausted shorts and tank tops aside and pull out the chunky knits, dark denim, scarves, oversized coats, and best of all, boots. There's just nothing better than stepping out into that crisp, cool, fresh air, all bundled up in your Fall favorites. Unless, that is, you're stepping out in Paris... well then, my friend, you've got it made.

If there's one thing my friends have all been discussing lately, it's what kind of boots to invest in for Fall. I wear boots all throughout the year and believe that the key to finding the perfect pair is to think practically. As a shoe that tends to be more on the expensive side, it's important that you can see yourself wearing them a lot, that they will stand up to the weather, and most importantly, that they are made well. Here are some of my picks for Fall:

Short Boots
Picture 29

1) Fiorentini + Baker simply make the best boots. I have this exact style and wear them with absolutely everything. They are so well made, break in beautifully, and add a cool, biker edge to any outfit.
2) My friend, Francesca, just bought these Madewell boots in black and loves them. Madewell actually has a ton of great styles this season, and at a great price point to boot (pun intended).
3) Frye is another great quality shoe label that my sister swears by. With so many great styles and colors to choose from, it's hard to pick, but I love these short, distressed cowboy boots thrown on with jeans and an oversized sweater this season.

Heeled Boots
Picture 27

1) I had my eye on these Acne boots when I was in Paris this summer. Printemps only offered them in black though, and I much prefer this great terracotta color.
2) The Alexander Wang boots I saw at Bergdorf's in NYC a month ago and I pretty much started drooling. They are so beautiful and are the perfect finish to any polished and clean look. Unfortunately, they were all out of my size.
3) Madewell strikes again with these taupe suede booties. They look a lot like the Isabel Marant Dicker boots, but for about half the price. Don't get me wrong, the Isabel Marant's are to die for but they are nearly impossible to find... I had to hunt them down at about 4 different stores in Paris before I got lucky. The sales lady thought I was nuts when I shrieked with excitement as she brought them out in my size.

Tall Boots
Picture 23

1) These Belstaff boots are an investment for sure, but I just had to include them. The brown leather is gorgeous and I love their sort of distressed quality... just the perfect amount of give and scrunch throughout the calf.
2) What is there to say about the Sendra boots other than the fact that they are magnifique. It can be so hard to find a simple equestrian boot these days, but these ones are great: beautiful shape, an easy zip up the back, and super well-made.
3) Finally, the Aigle boots are pure genius. While they look just like a fabulous leather equestrian boot, they are actually PVC rain boots with great insulation guaranteed to keep your feet warm and dry... in style.

Well that's about all I've got up my sleeve for now. I hope you're all enjoying the Autumn weather, wherever you may be. Happy boot shopping and...

À bientôt!

No comments:

Post a Comment