Monday, November 7, 2011

Looking Forward to Paris

With Paris only 9 days away, my head is just swimming with thoughts of all the things I want to do while I am there. In case you are wondering - yes, I am totally that person who makes lists of all the places they want to see, all the restaurants they want to try, and all the museums they need to peruse. And while this may be an organized way of traveling, I realize now that I cannot put so much pressure on myself to get everything checked off my list because Paris is a city full of surprises. Linda Donahue put it nicely in a piece she wrote for one of my favorite expat-in-Paris blogs, Lost in Cheeseland, when she said "each time, I would inevitably abandon my itinerary and allow myself to just get lost."

This may sound horrifying at first... get lost? In a big city? But getting lost in Paris, in my opinion, is one of the best ways to truly get to know it. Instead of looking down at your little map, or reading every passing street sign in order to navigate the way to your next location, you are simply lost... It's a romantic idea that may arguably only work in Paris, but once you've allowed yourself to let go of the itineraries and schedules, only then will you begin to take in everything that surrounds you. And it is this leisurely calm and joie de vivre that I love most about the French.

Nevertheless, there are things that I am looking forward to. No plans or itineraries, but simple delights I will be enjoying in 9 days time...

The Express Walkways at the Charles de Gaulle Airport: this may sound strange, but for me, there is nothing like arriving in Paris. As such, I've taken a liking to some of the little things about the airport that make me pinch myself and realize I really am in Paris. Sure, but the express walkways?? I'm telling you, these walkways are so cool. They seem miles long and connect the terminal going up and down and all around. None of that fussy American stuff where you have to get off every 40 feet.
45483262

The Ferris Wheel and Vin Chaud at Concorde: every year around this time, Place de la Concorde transforms and takes on a cheerful Holiday spirit with a Ferris Wheel, little shops selling candy, games, and vin chaud. There's just nothing like being a total tourist for 30 minutes and taking a ride on the Ferris Wheel to get a gorgeous view of the Louvre, the Jardin des Tuileries, the Champs Elysées, and the Tour Eiffel. Followed by a nice, long walk through the park with some vin chaud (hot spiced wine), you just couldn't ask for a better afternoon.
L1010816
Lily on the Ferris Wheel
L1010830
Lily eating some delicious candy in the park
L1010831
The vin chaud stall
L1010818

View of the Champs Elysées from the Ferris Wheel
L1010820
View of the park and the Louvre from the Ferris Wheel

Dinner at La Bocca della Verita: Lily and I discovered La Bocca della Verita, a quaint little Italian restaurant hidden away on a tiny street in the 7th, around this time last year when we were living in Paris. The décor is incredibly warm and simple, the service is always friendly, and the food is absolutely to die for. Appetizers consist of gorgeous plates of grilled vegetables, rocket salads with shavings of parmesan, special Italian meats, and creamy mozzarella. Entrées consist of lemon-artichoke-pepper pasta, white truffle cheese tortellini, goat cheese ravioli with thyme and honey, and beautifully prepared meats and fish... just to name a few. With a stellar wine list and the perfect ambiance for a relaxing dinner among friends, this restaurant has become one of my absolute favorites in Paris.

Ahhhh these pictures are getting me so excited for Paris! Many more of these "looking forward to Paris" moments to come this week.

Happy Monday and à bientôt!

No comments:

Post a Comment